When death looks a lot like sleep

sometimes dreams die.
i hold it in my arms
feel the thready heart beats
slowing; feel my heart beat
cease.

what do you do with a dead
dream? how do you bury with your
hands what they have wrapped
around protectively? how do you say
goodbye, before you’ve had the chance
to say hello?

today i watched you die. watched us die. dreams aborted violently, blood splattering all over the floor, my hands wrapped around myself, holding my midsection,
collapsing into myself.

how do you walk away from yourself?
how do you let go of your own soul locked in a body buried beneath the soil?
how do you walk on soil knowing with every step you take, your soul sinks deeper into the earth?

how do you untangle yourself from your own body and walk away and never look back? tell me, if you know, how i can be whole again, with pieces of me ruthlessly ripped off leaving emptiness echoing loudly.

tell me what to do with the dead dream in my blood stained hands, with face so peaceful and eyes closed, it could pass for sleep.

1. Walt Shakes says:

The most unsettling thing is to be so aware of the fact that your dreams are dying. To be aware of this, to care and to be unable to do anything to stop it. It’s the worst kind of death.

True talk! Thanks for commenting

‘Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life’s a broken-winged bird that cannot fly’ – Langston Hughes

This is a pretty profound piece Doc and though am fully aware that the death of the visioner, the dreamer who conceived of the dream; is far more tragic than the death of the dream in itself; these perfect lines have got me wondering and questioning my belief and that which I thought I knew. Plus, Tecumseh did surmise this…’When legends die, the dreams end, there’s no more greatness’.

I absolutely love how the Narrator became one and the same with his dream and dare I say it Doc; that you’ve overtime become something of a savant when it comes to analogies and imageries. ‘Cherish your visions and dreams as they’re the children of your soul, the blueprints of your ultimate achievement- Napoleon Hill. I like very much how a dream takes the form of a baby and how the dreamer’s likened to a devastated and traumatized parent grieving the sudden loss of his baby. It just reinforces the words of the sensational rockstar that’s Mick Jagger who opines this….’Lose your dreams and you might lose your mind’. That was simply brilliantly done..bizarre almost! 😁

‘What do you do with a dead dream?’, the Narrator asks and I say dream new dreams. The dream does not make the dreamer, on the contrary, the dreamer makes the dream. And in the words of the legendary C.S. Lewis, ‘You’re never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream’.

I figure that once there’s life, there’s hope and all things are possible to all who dare to dream and work their hardest to make them a reality; without giving up. ‘There’s nothing as exciting as a comeback- seeing someone with dreams, watching them fail and then getting a second chance’; surmises Rachel Griffiths.

I laud you on this one Doc, way to go! πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜‰

Thank you Yemie!

I like the philosophical debate: which is more important, the dream or the dreamer? I think it depends on perspectives.

What if the dream is what defines the dreamer? What if we only get one true dream – that forms the core of other dreams, around which our existence revolves around?

‘What if the dream defines the dreamer’ has me thinking of the age long debate between the one that came or happened first….’the egg or the chicken’? πŸ™„πŸ˜‚

I still believe the dreamer holds all the aces anyhow, the dream’s subject to him. He calls all the shots and it feels kinda like the Potter and the clay. πŸ˜€ Some dreams only live as long as the dreamer while some others go on, long after the dreamer’s passed on thereby immortalizing him. 😊

Dream make a β€œdreamer”. It’s the acquisition or bequeathal of a dream that confers the title/status of β€œdreamer”. If the dream die how then shall we define he who has the dream that is now dead? Again, a man is more than just dreams, I know. But when a dream dies a man floats.

3. Omotayo says:

Thank you for this. Thank you so very much for this.

You are welcome. You are so very welcome.