Fallen, in love

I was felled by love
It hacked at my bark

Relentlessly
Disturbing the flow of sap

In my phloem
My leaves shriveled from lack

Turned yellow.
Day after day, the gash grew

Wider till with one last blow
I fell,

With a loud moan,
In love.

I read this and I immediately think ‘Cafe Society’ ….. a Hollywood Blockbuster from the stables of the multiple award winning filmmaker and actor that’she Woody Allen. ‘I hear love kills more people in any year than tuberculosis, quips one of the characters taking part in that movie while another yet says ‘Love’s not rational, you fall in love, you lose control’. How that this mighty tree slained….doth fall down with a thud….the absolute horror! πŸ˜ˆπŸ˜‚

These lines…..they emote aptly the true state of vulnerability and utter powerlessness a person ‘suffers’ , when love takes a firm, unyielding hold that leaves one totally paralysed and pretty much….done in! 😁

The amazing songstress that’she Celine Dion in one of her ballads titled ‘Falling Into You’ ascribes this great fall to leaves and stars…..’falling like a leaf, falling like a star’, but this; as with a tree being gradually stripped of its substance and essence, whilst also being rendered completely helpless and hopeless, does smarts and grabs by Jove! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Great thinking Doc, your analogies….they work always! πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜„You did great justice to that famous phrase…’Falling (en) in love’ with this beyond beautiful piece. ❀😍Respect Sir! Wawu!!!πŸ™‡πŸ˜

Thanks Yemie.
      it can be exciting as well as frightening: the feeling of falling (in love)

2. Omotayo says:

I love this piece: the way you have likened the process of falling in love with the felling of a tree, how you have illustrated the gradual erosion of resistance, and captured the utter helplessness and final surrender. I just love this! It’s brilliant, and nothing less than we expect from you.

Thank you so much! I am glad you like it, i do too.

3. Me says:

I hope to write something with this poem sometime when i find love. Its brilliance hits me now, and i think it will stay for a long long time.

Welldone doctor!β™‘

Thanks Me. I hope you find love soon. Can’t wait to see what you will do with this poem.