Midnight Summer Love

Out in the open we lay,

On a bed of mosses,

Under the blanket of the starry sky,

With folded hands for a pillow

And the symphony of nature for music.

There with the full moon presiding,

We sealed our love with a kiss,

In the presence of a thousand fireflies,

Cheered by the hoots of owls

And the harmonious melody of the cicadas.

We held hands and sighed contentedly

As Polaris winked at us,

Nodding her approval alongside the

Whole constellation of Ursa Minor.

Two decades later, I still go back there, in my mind,

Walking the exact path and breathing the same air;

Feeling the same rush of emotions and the hope

Of a blossoming love, breathtaking even in its early bloom

And holding the promise of something beyond wonderful

In the coming years, and I wonder

What happened to that blissful dream of the night,

And how the blossom of love was nipped in the bud.

Am totally mesmerized and you literally blew me away to smithereens with this ethereal romantic masterpiece Doc! I love how its all set in the backdrop of the glorious celestial and terrestial beauty, nature in all of its magnificence! Of milky ways, constellations and hearts beating as one, even if just for two decades! Soo bittersweet! Really Gloomie??? *sighs*

My expectations were at an all time high, till I happened upon the final line and then, just like that; my hope was dashed and I spiralled downwards on a turbo-charged freefall to God knows where! You never disappoint Gloomie; I’ve really gotta give you that! You stepped up to the plate again, and did great justice to this! You’re a brill Doc, always! *smh* LOL

Yeeeeeeemie! turbo-charged freefall! lol!
      na wa!

2. amity4 says:

Rose and thorn . I love Love more. I always love the sad twist. ☺️☺️😊
    Well done Dr.🌹🌹🌹

you ALWAYS love the sad twist? wow!
      wait till Yemie, your lover, hears this! lol

3. Walt Shakes says:

You have a gift with poetry, doc.

thanks Walter…

4. fadehan says:

Back with this on love. Love. Love. Nice piece

5. This Doc and the way he churns out splendid poetry like it took no effort; like an abracadabra. 🙂

A lil’ bit of nostalgia here. Very good one.

lol @abacradabra…
      nostalgic eh? you have a similar story? an early love that held promise and then was nipped in the bud? do share

6. neker17 says:

Noooo! I wanted the night to go on forever!