Tell me your name

name2

Tell me, what is in a name?

Definitely not for fame

Or is it good with the dames?

name4
does a rose lose its nature if it is named differently?

Hello, what’s your name?

Is it all about identity?

Like just another entity?

name1

My name is this and that

Does it tell you my destiny?

Does it prove my integrity?

name

Is my name better than yours?

Is it a symbol of class?

Or does it separates the castes?

name3
definitely, having a name makes it easier to single you out for punishments!

Why then do we have names?

For the days of shame?

Like the elders proclaim?

name5

Tell me your name

Does it reflect who you are?

Or modelled after a star?

name6

Tell me, what is your name?

What does it mean to you?

I bear your name too.

DP Challenge: Power of names

My name’s Oyeyemi, meaning I’m worthy of a royal title. My name means EVERYTHING to me, keeps me grounded and humble, having come to a realization that, even long after I’m dead and gone, that name you see right there; will outlive me for good or evil. That’s solely my choice. The Good Book says ‘ A Good Name’s better than gold and silver’. A name keeps one from being called a ‘nonentity’, a word culled from the words, ‘no’ and ‘entity’. So yeah, there’s a whole lot in a name.

Worthy of note also are names, so different from the ones we’re christened by our parents that we, consciously or most times, unconsciously take up in the way we lead our lives. Check this out: Tyrant, Murderer, Cheat, Liar, Bitch, Villian, Gossip, Lout, Slut, Thief, Scammer or on a brighter note, Hero, Kind, Charitable, Good, Faithful, Loyal, Honest, Truthful, Reliable, Pious, God-fearing et al.

Doc, this is a very thought-provoking piece, you did really well. And that last illustration, got me reeling with laughter. She named her mutt after her ex? Epic! Thanks for sharing, and wisdom multiplied!

nice dimension! the names we earn rather than the one we are named are the most important! word! that is why it is good to walk with the elders….I have gained a whole lot!

Biko bia ne ba! Na who be ya elder ehkwa? Warn yasef o! A woman’s forever young, ya heard? *RME*

in which land? abeg, revel in your old age…with the aged lies wisdom and the grey hair is to be deferred to..na so the bible talk am or smtn lk dt

You must be shitting me right now! Old age, grey hair, what the flying heck do you going on ’bout? Je ne comprend pas!

trying to tell you to be comfy with being called old…

You’re just so incorrigible Doc. Did you miss out on your childhood perhaps? Maybe that’s why you’re so gung-ho bent on being irrational. Do you know what I look like to know for sure that I’m old and greying? Ok, let me just help your condition. Do you wanna hear it? I’m really old and geriatric! Infact, I’m dealing with a condition, Osteoporosis at the moment. So yeah, you can give yourself a big pat on the back. Yay! We have a psychic on our hands! Eish! #smh#

1. yes I missed my childhood. I was born and then I became an adult
                  2. help my condition? really?! you are the one with the condition, osteo- wareva you call it
                  3. yes, I can sense it that you are reeeally old and geriatric.

Ote, na u sabi o! Iwofa l’enu, ohunkohun ti o ba wu elenu ni ki o fii enu e so. Won o ki n mu eniyan sii! So Doc, yap away! Ise ori ran e ni, ki o tera mo o. Delight and glory in those ramblings, biko, don’t stop on ma account o. Mura sii! It will do you a whole world of good. I’m outta here! Alaafia fun yin, Sir. Psst!

lol. I will heed your advice.
                      thanks for always taking time out to drop a comment.

2. buqie says:

Eheheheheheheh, so I was going to comment but after reading this ‘exchange’, i cant even remember what i was gonna write.

Okay, yeah, a name abi?

I think a name is what you make out of it. Not necessarily what it means literally.

And Yemie has said everything i
    was going to say o, and more…

So I’ll just continue with my laughter jeje.

thanks for stopping by. I and yemie’s exchange are legendary….

Oh my dayz, Buqie! I’m glad I was able to crack you up real good, that you actually forgot what you were gonna write. Damn, I’m good! Perhaps I just might have a future in stand-up comedy then, no? Thanks dear, you rock plenty much! God bless you. LOL!

what about my role? did she not say ‘exchange’? are you the only one involved in the exchange? acknowledge me biko

Oopsie! My badt! Where are my manners though? Wanting to take all the ‘credit’? What can fa? Ndo, maa binu si mi jare, I just got carried away there for a fraction of a millisec. So this is me, humbly acknowledging you Doc, a worthy adversary and a worthier sparring partner, afterall; it takes two to tango abi? And we’re doing a mighty fine job of it! *cowtowing to your ingenious* LMAO!

now you are talking! I accept your apologies….partner. lol

3. buqie says:

Ehehehehehe, @ Yemie Yep, you are good; writing, comedy and all.

God bless you too!

4. Walt Shakes says:

Frankly I don’t lay much worth on names. It affects not what I’ll be. People change their names all the time. But one’s destiny will always be

true words…moreover our destiny is what we make it to be

5. litadoolan says:

Brilliant fast paced poetry! Reads so well and lots of big ideas to enjoy.