the 300 word story

Recently, a friend of mine challenged me to write a three hundred word story or less to a picture she sent to me. Despite all the excuses i put up, she did not back down and after a while i took up the challenge. After staring at the picture for a long time, an idea came and I scribbled down something. The first draft was about 500 words long. I had to embark on the arduous task of trimming it down. In the process i learnt a thing or two about editing (which will be story for another day). So, I managed to get the word count to 300 words.

So I am sharing the story with you and the picture.

picture prompt

“Hurry up, we are going to be late” that was Sade, my chief bridesmaid.

I was supposed to be the more eager party but somehow I was weighed down. Rather than feeling excited at what was supposed to be the happiest day of my life, I was filled with terror.

I needed to pray. I felt it deeply.

“Sade, I- ”

“What now? ” she gave me an inpatient look

“Nothing” I said.

She softened and moved closer to me ” Babes, it will be fine”

I exhaled and smiled at her.

In the car I called my husband to be, Tunde. He didn’t pick. My heartbeat picked up. I called again and still he didn’t pick. Beads of sweat were forming on my brow.

“Something is wrong,” I said to Sade  “Tunde is not picking his phone”

The phone rang and I breathed a sigh of relief.

“Baby, I’m sorry I missed your call. I put it in silence so that we could pray. I felt that strong urge as we were about to leave the hotel room and I told the boys, so we did a joint prayer holding hands. We are on our way now”

At the church, everything was set. Still I couldn’t shake that feeling of dread. When I couldn’t stand it any longer, I called the girls together and asked them to pray with me.

“Let’s form a circle around her” that was Sade.

Sometimes during the prayers, I started to weep, heart-wrenching cries and then there was peace.

Tunde was late. Very late.

When he showed up, it was in a taxi and he looked ruffled.

“I’m sorry I’m late” he smiled ruefully “I had to find an alternative means of transport after our car skidded off the road and hit a transformer”

What do you think? Can you write a 300 word story to the picture prompt? If you do, just post a link in the comment box and share it.

1. Hmmmmmm! A bad beginning makes for a good ending?

1. Title? “Sadness and Joy”?

Thanks! Nice suggestion.

2. egbuline says:

hmmm…you nailed it. i’ll give it a try.

Thanks. Please do post a link so that I can see how you spin a story off the picture prompt.

1. egbuline says:

alright. can i use any picture?

No. You have to use the picture prompt in the post
      That’s the challenge.

1. egbuline says:

alrite…i’ll do justice to it.

3. Hmmm… I dont want to spoil your fun but this is…I’ll rather keep shut.

Lol. I’m sure you have read better stories than this but yes, it’s fun for me cos I’m just trying my hands on it. How do you expect me to get better if you don’t dish out those constructive criticisms? So not saying your mind is actually what will spoil the fun…
      Thanks for stopping by…

Brilliant! Nice concept…

4. mimi says:

Hmmmm….really nice. That your friend must be real smart. Thank God she got your creative juices flowing.

Thumbs. The picture really says a lot.

Oh yea,my friend is real smart…thanks mimi for getting my creative juice flowing…you are the best!

I think you should…it’s going to be fun

5. Sylvia says:

I really like this.
    I like stories with ‘good’ theme. This has a good theme and was well told.

The 300 word thing…I hope my laziness would not overwhelm my will this time.. Would try out my pen.

Thanks ma
      You should try it…it’s fun

Cool! You nailed it…

Nice spin Doc, the only problem I have with it, is the part where the groom’s ride collided into a transformer and he came out unscathed. I daresay he was pretty lucky the car didn’t go up in flames. LMAO!

na miracle na..u don’t believe in miracles ni? na prayer save im life so

So prayers saved the groom’s ride from bursting into flames abi beeko? The same prayers you don’t believe the addict fella in your other post can benefit from abi? Can you puh-lease enlighten me some more ’bout this my good Doc Sir, cos am soooo spoiling for a fight right now. Can you tell? LMAO!

oh, I believe in prayers. but when it comes to behaviours and actions, no, it ain’t prayer that will do it. it is a choice! prayer will help us to make the decision to change and give us the courage to do what is needed. prayer aint gonna make you stop smoking, YOU are going to stop smoking yourself. prayers will help strengthen your resolve and give you strength to resist the urge, for as long as you determine not to. the moment you determine to smoke, no amount of prayers aint gonna help you. God doesn’t force man to do things neither does His Spirit.

Doc, I know faith without works is dead and I’m not just saying pray for him and he’d be cured of his addiction. What I’m saying is the two will work hand in hand afterall, we can only do ALL things through Christ that strenghtens us. So while a person’s undergoing some form of therapy and resolves to shirk away from whatever addiction is holding him captive, the Higher Power shouldn’t be given a back seat, He must be with the one seeking a cure avery step of the way.*drops mic* phew!

you are right. if you search, you will see a post under the ‘dealing with addiction’ series titled “calling unto the Higher Power”.
          without Him we are nothing!

7. I love this. You brought the picture to life in words that struck a chord in me…

The ever wonderful Holy Spirit, always telling us what to pray about if we will just listen and obey…

thanks Frances…
      A true teacher and comforter is He…